Symptoms from brain injury vary on part/severity, generalizations can be made.
Left-Side Brain Injury
- Right side/Paralysis/weakness arm, leg.
- Right visual field cut/area blank, unaware: shaves/comb hair right side. Double vision. Personal care help.
- Difficulty speaking/understanding/saying words.
- Repeats certain words/phrases.
- Cannot recall names/things.
Reading, Writing, Arithmetic
- Problems reading/may write to communicate.
- Written/spoken language difficult.
- Despair/anger/frequent crying.
Right-Side Brain Injury
- Left-sided weakness/paralysis arm,leg. Sensation disturbances hot/cold, pain.
- Left visual field cut/area blank, unaware. Shave right side only. Double vision possible.
- Difficulty recognizing faces/understand relationships.
- Difficulty understanding what is said.
- Talkative, repeats words/phrases. Speech flat/lacks melody.
- Cannot understand what is read.
- Difficulty listening. Self-centered/not allow others to talk.
- Difficulty chewing/swallowing.
- Problem judging depth/distance/direction; familiar forms/objects/information.
- Cannot use money/make change/write checks.
- Get lost even in familiar places.
- Give single instructions/wait until completed before giving next.
- Dressing many be put on inside out/wrong order/unaware.
- Cannot tell time/understand time/space. Loss of musical abilities.
- Short attention span/can be extreme.
- Happy/lack personal limitation/problems.
- Claim to do things, but not.
- Laugh inappropriately/Impulsive.
- Talk too much/too little/flat tone.
- Difficulty understanding emotions voices/expressions/gestures.
- Uncontrolled swearing.